Saturday, December 19, 2020

Hern: Capitalism pulled me out of poverty, why can’t AOC admit it saved her, too?


Capitalism pulled me out of poverty, why can’t AOC admit it saved her, too?
By Representative Kevin Hern

It is well-documented that my colleague, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, worked in the service industry before running for Congress. It’s part of the reason why she gained so much traction with young people in her party. To be honest, I admire her ambition and think it should be applauded that she has found such success. It’s only possible in America.

What’s less well-known is that she is far from the first person to make that economic jump, and there are several sitting Members of Congress who come from much poorer backgrounds and worked their way to prosperity.

No one wants to talk about it because we’re conservative. We believe that capitalism is what pulled us out of poverty, and we want to maintain that system for future Americans.

The beauty of America is that anything is possible. No matter what economic class you are born into, there is opportunity to turn yourself into anything, if you are willing to work for it. There’s no limit to what you can achieve with a big idea and a strong work ethic.

There are not many people in Congress who can testify to that statement quite like I can.

For many years of my childhood, we didn’t have electricity or running water, because my mom and stepdad couldn’t afford to pay the bill. I remember coming home from elementary school not knowing if we’d have food for dinner most nights. I was mocked by classmates for my worn-out clothes. I was looked down on for receiving free lunches at school. We were constantly moving from house to house because my stepdad never made the rent.

That didn’t stop me from dreaming. In fact, it motivated me. It inspired me to work so hard that my future family would never live like that.

Read more »


by Jamison Faught - December 19, 2020 at 10:20PM
 

Hern: Capitalism pulled me out of poverty, why can’t AOC admit it saved her, too?

Click the title to read the entire article at Muskogee Politico